Escrick Park Estate - A Brief History
Our natural home for generations
Escrick Park has been owned and managed by the same family for over 300 years. Current owner Charles Forbes Adam has concentrated on diversification and conservation in order to maintain and develop the Estate. The timeline below charts his ancestors progress:
1668 Sir Henry Thompson, Lord mayor of York, successful wine merchant and ancestor of current owner purchases the Lordship of Escrick.
Over the next 150 years the Estate increases in size and grandeur, and Beilby Thompson has the village of Escrick moved to the north of the Manor House.
1756 An Act of Parliament creates an early bypass around the village - now the A19.
Circa 1800 The third Lord Wenlock begins the construction of a model village, which sadly he does not finish.
Late 1800s Landholding peaks at about 22,000 acres making it one of the largest lowland estates in the north of England.
Today following a combination of death duties and lavish lifestyles the Estate is now just under 8,000 acres.